Dallas TN NAFTA Lawyer
When passed in 1993, the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) opened the door to special trade relationships for organizations in the US, Canada, and Mexico. In doing so, the law created a new classification for TN visas, which are available for Canadian and Mexican nationals who want to work temporarily in the US. There are strict eligibility criteria in terms of what professionals qualify, and special rules apply for family members who accompany the visa holder.
A TN NAFTA visa is different from other temporary work visas, which is why retaining knowledgeable counsel is essential for coordinating details and navigating the application process. Our team at BBA Immigration has extensive experience assisting clients, as immigration law is our firm’s core practice area. Please contact us today to set up a consultation with a Dallas TN NAFTA lawyer who can describe how the laws apply to your situation. An overview of the basics is also helpful.
Important Facts About TN Visas
A few details are informative on this classification of visas, so keep the following in mind:
- Around 60 professions qualify for NAFTA visas, including those in the areas of accounting, computer science, graphic design, hospitality, law, and jobs in the sciences. There are also numerous medical categories, such as nurse, physician, and dentist.
- The process for TN visas is significantly faster than others, as you could be approved at the port of entry
- A TN NAFTA visa is good for three years, and a person can request extensions of stay indefinitely.
You may qualify for a TN NAFTA visa if:
- You are a citizen of Canada or Mexico;
- You work in one of the professions as designated by NAFTA;
- You have evidence showing that the position in the US requires a person with qualifications set forth in NAFTA;
- You have already made arrangements for a part-time or full-time position with an employer in the US, as opposed to a self-employed individual; and,
- You meet the requirements as far as credentials, licensing, and education for the position.
Applying for a TN Visa
Our Dallas TN NAFTA attorneys will guide you through each step in the process, as there are different requirements. BBA Immigration will help with:
- TN Visas for Canadians: Either the individual or an employer can petition for the visa. If you are the prospective visa holder, you will need a letter from your prospective employer outlining your job tasks.
- TN Visas for Mexico Nationals: You must submit proper documentation to the US consulate or embassy, followed by an interview regarding your application. Once approved, you can enter the US through a port of entry.
A Dallas TN NAFTA Lawyer Will Guide You Through the Process
It is useful to review some background information, but you can see how challenges could affect the visa application process. Errors cost time and money, so trust our team at BBA Immigration to guide you. For more information, please contact us to schedule a consultation. A Dallas TN NAFTA attorney can advise you after learning more about your circumstances.