Switch to ADA Accessible Theme
Close Menu
Houston Immigration Lawyers > Houston TN NAFTA Visa Lawyer

Houston TN NAFTA Visa Lawyer

The TN professional visa for Canadian and Mexican nationals was created by the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) of 1993. Under a TN Visa, qualifying citizens of Mexico and Canada can work temporarily in the U.S. under certain conditions in an approved professional occupation. TN status may be renewed annually as long as the applicant can demonstrate that the proposed employment continues to be temporary. Additionally, TN Visa holders can bring over their spouse and children under a TD derivative visa; family members can live and go to school in the U.S. but will not be granted authorization to work here.

The immigration attorneys at BBA Immigration can tell you everything you need to know about the TN Visa and guide you through the process of obtaining a TN Visa smoothly and successfully. Call our experienced Houston TN NAFTA Visa lawyers today.

Who Qualifies for TN NAFTA Visas?

The TN Visa is a nonimmigrant visa, meaning that the visa is granted for a definite period of time; it does not award a Green Card to the visa holder or confer status as a lawful permanent resident. The TN Visa is available to professionals who seek entry into the United States to practice their profession. Examples of eligible business professionals include accountants, engineers, lawyers, pharmacists, scientists and teachers. The eligibility criteria for a TN Visa include the following:

  • Mexican or Canadian citizenship
  • Qualifications to practice in a qualifying profession
  • An arrangement for full or part-time employment with a U.S. employer whose position requires a NAFTA professional

Canadian citizens need not apply for a TN Visa through consular processing at a U.S. consulate. Instead, they can present themselves at the border or port of entry or inspection station and present the documentation that establishes their TN eligibility. If the documentation is sufficient, the applicant can be admitted as a TN nonimmigrant without having to secure a visa. BBA Immigration can counsel you on what documentation you will need and help ensure your documentation is in order for successful entry. If you are an employer seeking to sponsor an employee, we can help you file the applicable Form I-129 to petition on the employee’s behalf.

Mexican citizens should first go through consular processing by applying for a TN Visa at a U.S. embassy or consulate located in Mexico (the U.S. Embassy is located in Mexico City, but you can also find U.S. Consulates in Ciudad Juarez, Guadalajara, Hermosillo, Matamoros, Merida, Monterrey, Nogales, Nuevo Laredo, and Tijuana.)

The initial stay on a TN Visa is up to three years. It is possible to request an extension of stay through your employer while in the United States or to leave and re-enter as before.

BBA Immigration Is Here to Help With TN NAFTA Visas

Compared to other immigrant and nonimmigrant visas, getting a TN Visa is much easier. However, you can still be denied entry if your paperwork is not in order and not backed up with sufficient documentation, among other reasons. This process should not be taken lightly; we recommend that you talk to an experienced business immigration attorney beforehand to make sure you gather all necessary documentation and put together a complete, accurate, strong application that is likely to meet with success at the border.

Contact BBA Immigration Today

If you are a Canadian or Mexican citizen with a professional job lined up in America, or a U.S. employer looking to bring over a Mexican or Canadian national to serve your organization in a professional capacity, the immigration attorneys at BBA immigration can help ensure your petition is expertly prepared for the greatest chance of success. Call our experienced Houston TN NAFTA Visa lawyers today.

Share This Page:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn