Switch to ADA Accessible Theme
Close Menu
Houston Immigration Lawyers > Houston Marriage & Family Visa Lawyer

Houston Marriage & Family Visa Lawyer

Immigration for marriage or to reunite family members is a worthy goal. In fact, most of the immigration to the United States is done for marriage or other family-based reasons. There are many different reasons, ways, and visas for family-based immigration, with quotas/caps in some areas and preferential categories in others depending on the family relationship or region of the world they are coming from. Sadly, family-based immigration can take years to accomplish due to these factors. For the best chance at success and achieving your immigration goals sooner rather than later, let the immigration attorneys at BBA Immigration advise you, guide you, and provide all the assistance and representation you need. Learn more about family-based immigration topics below, and contact our experienced Houston marriage & family visa lawyers today for help.

Fiancé(e) Visas

If you are engaged and wish to bring over your betrothed to get married in the states, your first step is to complete Form I-129F Petition for Alien Fiancé(e). Once this petition has been approved by USCIS, your future spouse can apply at a U.S. embassy or consulate abroad for a K-1 visa to travel to the United States for marriage. The K-1 is a nonimmigrant visa and is only valid for a limited time. Once in the states, the couple should get married within 90 days to avoid overstaying the visa. Once married, we can help your spouse apply for an adjustment of status to get a Green Card and even work toward citizenship through naturalization if desired. Children can come too on a K-2 derivative visa.

The process for obtaining a fiancé(e) visa requires putting together an abundant amount of evidence to support the petition. BBA Immigration can help you through this process for a successful application.

Visas for Spouses Living Abroad

If you are already married but your noncitizen spouse is out of the country, we can help you obtain a K-3 visa for your spouse to come over and seek status as a lawful permanent resident. The appropriate visa for children in this case is the K-4 derivative visa.

Visas for Relatives

U.S. immigration law allows American citizens and lawful permanent residents to sponsor their relatives and petition for them to immigrate. The process begins by completing the I-130 Petition for Alien Relative, which requires not only proof of family relationship but also a multitude of other requirements that must be documented and met, including proof of financial support. Our knowledgeable family immigration lawyers can help you put together a strong case that proves your family member’s eligibility to immigrate.

U.S. citizens can petition for the following relatives to immigrate to the U.S.:

  • Husband or wife
  • Unmarried child under 21 years of age
  • Unmarried son or daughter over 21
  • Married son or daughter of any age
  • Brother or sister, if the U.S. citizen is at least 21 years old
  • Parent, if the U.S. citizen is at least 21 years old

If the sponsor is a U.S. Lawful Permanent Resident instead of a citizen, they may only petition for the following relatives to immigrate to the United States:

  • Husband or wife
  • Unmarried son or daughter under 21

Depending on the family relationship, the relative might have to wait for a visa number to become available before immigrating. Spouses, parents, and unmarried children under 21 do not have to wait for an immigrant visa number to become available; a visa number becomes immediately available upon approval of the petition. Other relatives eligible to immigrate must wait for a visa number to become available, subject to yearly quotas. Below are the categories of family members sorted according to preference:

  • First preference: Unmarried, adult sons and daughters of U.S. citizens. Adult means 21 years of age or older
  • Second Preference: Spouses of lawful permanent residents, their unmarried children (under twenty-one), and the unmarried sons and daughters of lawful permanent residents
  • Third Preference: Married sons and daughters of U.S. Citizens
  • Fourth Preference: Brothers and sisters of adult U.S. Citizens

Contact BBA Immigration Today

Helping families start, grow or reunite is a fulfilling part of our immigration law practice at BBA Immigration. For help with family-based immigration needs in Texas, call our experienced Houston marriage and family visa lawyers today.

Share This Page:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn