Switch to ADA Accessible Theme
Close Menu
Houston Immigration Lawyers > San Antonio E-2 Visa Lawyer

San Antonio E-2 Visa Lawyer

If you are not a United States citizen but a foreign national looking to finance or manage a business in the United States, you may be eligible to receive an E-2 visa. This is a non-immigrant classification that enables investors from countries that have signed a treaty or other qualifying international agreement with the United States to live and work in the country. An E-2 visa can therefore allow you, and even people that you employ as part of your business, to effectively work in the United States indefinitely.

Applying for any sort of United States visa involves dealing with a complex web or regulations and bureaucracy. An experienced San Antonio E-2 visa lawyer can help you cut through this red tape. At BBA Immigration, we represent many foreign investors looking to advance their business interests in the United States, and we can help you in applying for and receiving an appropriate visa.

Legal Status for Foreign Investors in U.S. Companies

The E-2 visa classification is specifically designed for individuals who are considered “treaty investors.” If you are a non-U.S. national who is currently in the country lawfully, you can apply for a change of status to the E-2 classification. Unlike many other visas issued by the United States, there is effectively no expiration date with an E-2 visa. Although the initial E-2 visa lasts up to 5 years, a qualified treaty investor can usually request an unlimited number of extensions.

A “treaty investor” is someone who lives in a foreign country that has a trade agreement with the United States. The treaty investor must normally purchase a controlling (50 percent or greater) ownership stake in an existing United States business or start a new company that will conduct most of its business in the United States. To obtain an E-2 visa, the treaty investor must make a “significant” investment in the business. And the business itself must be capable of generating substantial income within 5 years.

A treaty investor must take an active role in running their United States business. A person holding an E-2 visa must work for the company that sponsored their application, i.e., the business they have invested in. They cannot work for any other employer and maintain E-2 classification.

If you do obtain an E-2 visa, you may then be able to hire other employees from your native country to work in executive, supervisory, or highly specialized jobs with your company in the United States. These employees must separately obtain their own E-2 visas. Your spouse and any children of yours under the age of 21 may also be eligible for their own E-2 visas as well.

Contact BBA Immigration Today

An E-2 visa is often the best immigration option for a foreign investor looking to start or purchase a business in the United States. But you need to make sure you meet all of the eligibility requirements for this or any other visa. A skilled San Antonio E-2 visa lawyer can help keep you on the right path. If you need to speak with a United States immigration attorney, contact BBA Immigration today to schedule an initial consultation.

Share This Page:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn