Switch to ADA Accessible Theme
Close Menu
Houston Immigration Lawyers > San Antonio TN NAFTA Visa Lawyer

San Antonio TN NAFTA Visa Lawyer

The United States has always had a special relationship with its two closest neighbors, Canada and Mexico. This was reflected in the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), which created a free trade zone between the three countries. As part of NAFTA, the United States created a special non-immigrant classification for Canadian and Mexican professionals seeking to enter and work in this country.

Known as the TN visa, this classification allows Canadian and Mexican nationals who have secured employment with a United States-based employer to enter the country. In some cases a visa may not even be required. But because the rules governing visas and non-immigrant classification are quite complex and subject to change, it is always best to work with an experienced San Antonio TN NAFTA Visa lawyer who can guide you through the process. At BBA Immigration, we can advise you on the best way to seek legal work status in the United States as a Mexican or Canadian national.

There Are Different Rules for Mexican and Canadian Citizens

Only certain professionals are eligible for TN nonimmigrant status in the United States. First, you must be a citizen of either Canada or Mexico. Second, you must belong to a qualifying profession, such as an accountant, scientist, or educator. Third, you must have a pre-arranged full- or part-time job with a United States employer that requires a NAFTA professional.

Canadian citizens are usually eligible for admission to the United States under the TN classification without a visa. This means that a qualified Canadian professional does not have to apply for a visa at a United States consulate beforehand. But a Canadian professional must still present documentation proving their eligibility for TN status when entering the United States.

Mexican citizens, however, must obtain a visa even if they qualify for TN status. Once approved for a visa, they must then separately apply for admission to the United States at certain designated points of entry supervised by U.S. Customs and Border Protection.

A Mexican or Canadian national admitted to the United State under TN status may initially stay for up to 3 years. A person who wishes to stay beyond their initial period–without leaving and re-entering the United States–may seek an extension. This is typically done by the employer on behalf of the non-resident employee. Spouses and dependent children of persons admitted to the United States under a TN visa may also be eligible for admission non-immigrant admission as well. But it is important to consult with a skilled immigration attorney upfront about this subject.

Contact BBA Immigration Today

Even in the best of circumstances, it can take several weeks to process a TN visa application. The process itself can also present a number of challenges to first-time immigrants. This is why it is best to work with a qualified San Antonio TN NAFTA visa lawyer who understands the United States immigration system. Contact BBA Immigration today to schedule an initial consultation with a member of our staff.

Share This Page:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn