Switch to ADA Accessible Theme
Close Menu
Houston Immigration Lawyers > Houston NAFTA Visa Lawyer

Houston NAFTA Visa Lawyer

Generally, a citizen of a foreign country who wishes to enter the United States must first obtain a visa. The North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) created special economic and trade relationships for the United States, Canada, and Mexico to help simplify this process.

The nonimmigrant NAFTA Professional (TN) visa allows citizens of Canada and Mexico, as NAFTA professionals, to work in the United States in prearranged business activities for U.S. or foreign employers. Among the types of professionals who are eligible to seek admission under the NAFTA visa are accountants, engineers, lawyers, pharmacists, scientists, and teachers.

If you are a Canadian or Mexican citizen with a professional job lined up in America, or a U.S. employer looking to bring over a Mexican or Canadian national to serve your organization in a professional capacity, contact a Houston NAFTA visa lawyer from BBA Immigration to help ensure your petition is expertly prepared for the greatest chance of success.

Eligibility Requirements

Canadians and Mexicans may be eligible to work in the United States as NAFTA professionals if they meet the following conditions:

  • They are a citizen of Canada or Mexico.
  • Their profession is on the NAFTA list.
  • The position in the United States requires a NAFTA professional.
  • The applicant must work in a prearranged full-time or part-time job for an employer. Self-employment is not permitted.
  • The applicant has the qualifications, meeting the specific requirements, education, and/or experience of the profession. Each profession typically requires a bachelor’s degree as an entry-level requirement, although there are few exceptions.

If you are a Canadian citizen, then you are not required to apply for a NAFTA visa at a U.S. consulate. You may establish eligibility at the time you seek admission to the United States by presenting required documentation to a U.S. Customs and Border Protection officer at certain U.S. ports of entry. You will need to provide the following documentation:

  • Proof of Canadian citizenship
  • Letter from your prospective employer detailing items such as the professional capacity in which you will work in the United States, the purpose of your employment, your length of stay, and your educational qualifications
  • Credentials evaluation, together with any applicable fees

If you are a Mexican citizen, you are required to obtain a visa to enter the United States as a TN nonimmigrant. You should apply for a TN visa directly at a U.S. embassy or consulate in Mexico. Once you are approved for a TN visa, you may apply for admission at certain U.S. ports of entry.

The initial period of stay in the United States is three years. If you wish to remain in the United States beyond your initial period of stay, you must seek an extension.

Contact BBA Immigration Today

There are many options for professionals who would like to work in the United States on a temporary basis. Contact BBA Immigration to learn more about your visa options.

Compared to other immigrant visas, getting a NAFTA visa is much easier but you could still make a mistake. Schedule a consultation with a Houston NAFTA visa lawyer today so we can help. Call (281) 503-1455 or fill out the online form.

Share This Page:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn