Switch to ADA Accessible Theme
Close Menu
Houston Immigration Lawyers > Houston Family Petition Lawyer

Houston Family Petition Lawyer

For many people, family is everything. When one person becomes a lawful permanent resident of the United States, they may want to take the necessary steps to bring over loved ones, such as children, spouses, siblings, and parents.

They would do so via a family-based visa petition. This refers to the process through which a U.S. citizen or a lawful permanent resident (also known as a green card holder) sponsors a family member for immigration to the United States. This process allows certain eligible family members to immigrate to the U.S. and obtain a green card so that they receive lawful permanent residence based on their relationship with the sponsor.

The family-based immigration system is divided into two main categories:

  1. Immediate relatives of U.S. citizens. This category includes spouses, unmarried children under the age of 21, and parents of U.S. citizens. There is no limit on the number of visas available for immediate relatives of U.S. citizens.
  2. Family preference categories. This category includes more distant relatives of U.S. citizens and certain relatives of lawful permanent residents. These include spouses and unmarried children (any age) of lawful permanent residents, married children of U.S. citizens, unmarried children (over 21 years old) of U.S. citizens, and siblings of U.S. citizens.

The process is not always easy and there could be a long wait involved. Get help with the process by contacting an experienced Houston family petition lawyer from BBA Immigration today.

Who Cannot Be Sponsored?

Not every family member can be sponsored. Here are the exceptions:

  • Distant relatives, such as grandparents, grandchildren, nieces, nephews, aunts, uncles, cousins, and in-laws
  • Adoptive parents or adopted children, if the child was adopted after turning16 years old
  • A biological parent, if you became a green card holder or obtained citizenship through adoption
  • A stepparent or stepchild, if the marriage that created the step relationship happened after the child turned 18 years old
  • A spouse, if you and your spouse were not both physically present at the marriage ceremony

The Process

 Filing the I-130 petition also establishes your place in line for an available green card. Unless you’re the spouse, parent, or unmarried child (under age 21) of a U.S. citizen (who gets to skip the line entirely), your place in line is determined by your “priority date,” which is the date that USCIS received your I-130 petition. Typically, petitions are processed in the order they are filed.

The price to file Form I-130 is currently $535. You must pay the exact amount. The payment is not refundable, even if your petition is denied. If you’re sponsoring multiple people, you’ll need to file separate Form I-130s for each family member.

Contact BBA Immigration Today

Immigration is often done to reunite family members. However, the process takes a long time. For the best chance at success and achieving your immigration goals sooner rather than later, let BBA Immigration advise you. Our Houston family petition lawyer can guide you through the process. Schedule a consultation by calling (281) 503-1455 or filling out the online form.

Share This Page:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn