Switch to ADA Accessible Theme
Close Menu
Houston Immigration Lawyers > San Antonio E-1 Visa Lawyer

San Antonio E-1 Visa Lawyer

The United States has treaties of commerce and navigation with many other countries. One benefit of such international agreements is that it makes it possible for traders or businessmen from these treaty nations to enter the United States under an E-1 visa. This particular visa makes it possible for “treaty traders” to legally develop and direct their business interests in the United States.

The process of applying for temporary authorization to work in the United States is often more complicated than foreign nationals realize. That is why it is crucial to work with a qualified San Antonio E-1 visa lawyer who can provide assistance and representation. At BBA Immigration, we can advise you on whether the E-1 visa classification is appropriate for your situation, and if so how to go about applying for one with United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

Allowing “Treaty Traders” to Live and Work in the United States

An E-1 visa is only available to nationals of countries that currently maintain a “treaty of commerce and navigation” with the United States, either directly or through a qualifying international agreement or legislation. A “treaty trader” applying for E-1 status must personally carry on principal trade between the United States and the qualifying treating country. Such trade can include goods, services, tourism, technology, and finance, among other activities. The amount of trade must also be “substantial,” i.e., it must involve numerous transactions over a period of time.

You can apply for an E-1 visa if you are self-employed–that is, carrying on trade for your own benefit–or you are an employee of an entity that meets the requirements for a treaty trader. To qualify as an employee, you must be the same nationality as your non-citizen employer, which in turn must be the same nationality as the treaty country. You must also provide your employer with executive, supervisory, or other “essential” services.

If approved, E-1 classification status initially lasts for a period of up to 2 years. It is possible to request an extension or a change in status for up to 2 years at a given time. There are no limits on the number of extensions that can be granted, but you must intend to leave the United States upon the final expiration of E-1 status. If you are married or have children under the age of 21, they can also seek E-1 classification for the same length of stay as yourself.

Contact BBA Immigration Today

If you need to work in the United States for a limited period of time to conduct foreign trade, an E-1 visa may be the right option for you and your family. A skilled San Antonio E-1 visa lawyer can review your situation and advise of the appropriate steps to take in order to enter and work in the United States legally. Contact BBA Immigration today to schedule a consultation with a member of our immigration team.

Share This Page:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn