Switch to ADA Accessible Theme
Close Menu
Houston Immigration Lawyers > San Antonio Marriage & Family Visa Lawyer

San Antonio Marriage & Family Visa Lawyer

If you are a United States citizen or lawful permanent resident, you may need to bring your spouse or another family member into the country. The process of applying for visas can often be confusing, particularly if you have never been through the process before. This is where it helps to work with an experienced San Antonio marriage & family visa lawyer.

The immigration team at BBA Immigration can assist you in helping to bring your family back together. We can advise you on the different types of visas that may be available to your loved one. And we can walk you through each stage of the process of sponsoring a family member and filling out the necessary paperwork with United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

How Visas Work for Spouses, Engaged Persons, and Other Family Members

USCIS broadly offers two types of visas: immigrant and non-immigrant. A non-immigrant visa covers individuals who only wish to enter the United States temporarily. Immigrant visas are for individuals looking to remain in the country permanently and possibly apply for citizenship. If you are currently a United States citizen or Green Card holder (permanent resident), then you are more likely to seek an immigrant visa for your spouse or other family member.

If you are married to a foreign national, you must be a United States citizen or permanent resident yourself in order to bring your spouse to live in the country as a permanent resident. This involves filing a Form I-130, known as a Petition for Alien Relative, with USCIS. You must provide written proof of your own citizenship or Green Card status. After filing the Form I-130, your spouse can then apply for a non-immigrant visa known as a K-3, which will allow them to enter, live, and work in the United States while their immigrant visa application is pending.

If you are engaged but not yet married to a foreign national, you can file a Form I-129F, a Petition for Alien Fiancé(e). This will enable your finacé(e) to obtain a non-immigrant K-1 visa to enter the country. You and your fiancé(e) must plan to marry within 90 days of them entering the country under the K-1 visa. Following the marriage, your now-spouse can then apply for a Green Card.

It is also possible to file a Form I-130 to bring a parent, sibling, child, or the spouse of a child to the United States as permanent residents provided you are a United States citizen. Green Card holders may not petition to bring other family members into the country as permanent residents, except for children (or grandchildren) who are unmarried and under the age of 21 or unmarried children (or grandchildren) over the age of 21.

Contact BBA Immigration Today

Many people are eager to bring their spouse or family members to the United States as quickly as possible. But it is important to do things the right way to ensure they are able to live and work in the United States with full legal authorization. So if you need advice from a skilled San Antonio marriage and family visas lawyer, contact BBA Immigration today to schedule an initial consultation with a member of our immigration team.

Share This Page:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn