Switch to ADA Accessible Theme
Close Menu
Houston Immigration Lawyers > Blog > Immigration > How Much Does It Cost For A Permanent Resident To Become A U.S. Citizen?

How Much Does It Cost For A Permanent Resident To Become A U.S. Citizen?


Every permanent resident possesses the ability to become a naturalized U.S. citizen. But, for a permanent resident to do so, they must meet certain criteria and, then, pay the appropriate fees.

By being aware of these fees, becoming a naturalized U.S. citizen becomes much easier. 

What Are The Fees For Becoming A U.S. Citizen? 

To become a U.S. citizen, every permanent resident must submit a Form N-400. By submitting this form, a permanent resident can apply for naturalization. Assuming the application is successful, they will then become a naturalized U.S. citizen.

Right before a permanent resident can submit their Form N-400, they must pay the application fee. The application fee is $640.

To go along with the application fee, a biometrics appointment may be necessary. The fee for this biometrics appointment is $85.

Given the figures outlined above, the total fee for becoming a U.S. citizen is $725. 

Are There Exemptions For These Fees?

A permanent resident who is filing for naturalization under the “military service category” is exempt from the Form N-400 filing fee and biometrics fee.

Permanent residents who are older than 75-years old are exempt from a biometrics appointment and, as such, do not need to pay the biometrics fee.

Outside of those two categories, no other exemptions exist for the fees outlined earlier. 

Are There Waivers For These Fees? 

The USCIS allows certain applicants to waive their fees. But, this is only if those applicants meet certain criteria and belong to a specific category.

An applicant is applicable for fee waiving if they meet one of the following criteria:

  • The applicant, or a member of their household, is on a means-tested benefit that depends on their current income and/or resources.
  • The applicant is currently facing financial hardships that make it difficult to pay the fees.
  • The applicant’s total household income is equal to/less than 150% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines for the year they are filing.

Regarding the third criteria, if the applicant’s income exceeds 150%, but is under 200%, they can receive a partial fee waiver. To do so, they must fill out a Form I-942.

How Can You Pay These Fees? 

To pay these fees, an applicant can use one of the following payment methods:

  • Debit Card
  • Credit Card
  • Money Order
  • Check

To pay with a debit card or credit card, the applicant must fill out Form G-1450. Right after doing so, they can attach the form to their Form N-400.

To pay with a money order or check, the applicant must address the document to the “U.S. Department of Homeland Security” and attach it to their Form N-400.

 Speak With A Houston Immigration Lawyer 

The process of becoming a U.S. citizen is complex and, at times, it can be confusing. Paying the required fees, or finding appropriate exemptions and waivers, can be just as confusing.

Speak with a Houston immigration lawyer today. We will assist you in finding appropriate exemptions/waivers and walk you through the naturalization process. 






Facebook Twitter LinkedIn